Friday 22 September 2017

Spring has Sprung!

Wooo hooo! Spring is here! 

It's gotta be my fave time of the year for flowers, as a lot of my favourites are back doing the rounds. Nowadays so many flowers are available all year round so I'm always excited when I get to say hello to certain blooms I haven't seen for a whole year! It makes them that bit more special when they are only around for a short time of the year. And of course one of the best things about spring flowers is that so many are bursting with fragrance!

"Spring is nature's way of saying, lets party!" -Robin Williams 

Here are my absolute spring faves...

Photos via Pinterest


Ranunculus- I love the variety of colours but I'm especially fond of their very circular shape as well as their fluffiness. If you love peonies, no doubt you probs heart these bad boys too!

Tulips!! I love the different looks you can achieve with tulips- Classic yet contemporary but can also be quirky or elegant! You can't beat a vase of tulips en masse. Parrot tulips are the ultimate- super showy with their large, frilly almost ice cream-like heads. 
If you didn't know, tulips continue to grow despite being cut and put into water. You may notice after a day or two that they are much taller or perhaps are starting to slightly droop over the sides of the vase much to your dismay! 
Handy hint- A good trick is to twist the stems to turn the bloom in towards the vase and they should slowly begin to straighten up again! It's important to choose the right vase as well, one that is tall enough to cover at least half the height of the tulips. A customer recently told me another trick to keep tulips upright.. apparently if you pierce the stem with a pin just under the bloom this will work a treat!?? Yet to try this trick myself!

Poppies- such colourful characters! They make such a fun and theatrical display. I love watching them open and shed their sepals!

Ehrlicher jonquils- love 'em or hate 'em! I love 'em! Their scent can be rather overpowering for some. To me they're a quintessential spring flower.



Photos via Pinterest

Sweet pea you sweet thang! I love it's soft scent, the frilled petals and how the individual stem is so wee and delicate yet when you put a whole load of em together they can create a big, fluffy cloud of colour. I also love the variety of colours they come in, from hot pink to blush to plum and coral etc. 

Daphne- Not particularly the physical beauty that makes it well-loved to many or one of my faves, but its beautifully intense, fresh, citrus fragrance! 
Daphne always makes me think of my mum and grandmother...
Lots of customers tell me it reminds them of theirs too and how it brings back fond childhood memories ...Yet another magical quality of flowers and another of the many ways in which they bring us joy!

Lilac- blink and you might miss it! It never seems to be around for long! I love the draping clusters of blooms and of course both its colour and perfume. So effortlessly pretty.


HOORAY FOR SPRING!

🌷 🌷 🌷

I dedicate this post today in loving memory of my wonderful, flower-loving grandmother Athne, or "Annie the Granny" as she was fondly known.
2nd July 1932-22nd September 2010


1 comment:

  1. Rebel Petal - Luving your blog - so descriptive - draws you in & you can feel & smell the flowers. Keep em coming. And a wonderful heartfelt dedication/memory of your 'Annie the Grannie'

    ReplyDelete