Sunday 19 February 2017

For the love of it

Hi and welcome!
I wanted to create a place where I can share my love of flowers and creativity as well as my own personal journey as a florist.
I believe everything we see around us is art and nature is no exception.
I am constantly searching my surroundings for inspiration and I love being able to create something in my mind and actually bring it to life, with my own hands.
I just love flowers, I don't know anyone who doesn't!? They are just so bloomin' wonderful! Nature, is wonderful. For me, its not just about the aesthetics of the flower, but also the way flowers make you feel! They can make you feel happy, special, appreciated etc when you receive them. I reckon its an even better feeling to be the one giving them and bringing a smile to someones face. Flower Power!

A bit about me and what led me to become a florist...

I've had an interest and appreciation for nature for as long as I can remember. I grew up in a small city in central New Zealand, surrounded by beautiful farmland, forest and way too many lakes to count. Having that on my doorstep, combined with the inspiration from my parents, meant that a love for nature seemed to come very easily and naturally.
My dad, a keen and experienced outdoorsman (a bit like "Uncle Hec"in Hunt for the Wilderpeople), would often take me along on many of his hunting and camping adventures as a kid, out in the rugged New Zealand bush. My mum was (and still is) always busy around the house, with a new renovation project as well as out and about in the garden, weeding, manicuring or planting. She encouraged me from a young age to help her in the garden.
Mum always had flowers in the house and every so often we would make a special trip to a little flower shop (I wish I could remember the name) that we loved and she would let me choose the flowers, it was always so exciting! It's one of my favourite childhood memories. The whole experience was just so special. I loved the flowers, the variety, the smell, the way the shop looked and watching the florists work their magic.
My grandmother also enjoyed flowers and gardening and Whenever I come across Daphne, Freesias or Erlicheer Jonquils I am always reminded of her. She would often turn up at our place with flowers for mum, including freshly cut stems of Daphne from her garden.
I always admired the work of a florist and thought that it would be something I'd love to do. It was always a thought in the back of my mind but it wasn't until a few years ago that I considered floristry seriously. I had started to get sick of working late nights in hospitality, working my butt off for a job that I wasn't actually passionate about. I decided to bite the bullet and give floristry a go! Off I went to flower school!

I have been working full time as a florist for just a little over 2 years and what an exciting, challenging and fulfilling adventure it has been so far! I am looking forward to starting my own business eventually and can't wait to see where that takes me!!

🌴🌴🌴








                                   







No comments:

Post a Comment